IFB Funding Programmes / Production /
About the Funding
This funding enables Irish filmmakers to complete a live-action, animated or documentary feature film (but not a TV drama or short film) which has reached post-production stage or later (rough cut stage) without BSÉ/IFB support, shows great theatrical promise and is in need of further funding.
Projects must be originated and creatively led by Irish talents - directors, writers, producers. Their content will generally (but not invariably) express Irish culture in some way, and their practical management will be primarily in Irish hands. Funding under this programme is generally (but not invariably) provided by BSÉ/IFB for the making of projects predominantly in English or Irish, or a combination of the two.
(1) Assessment of applications for BSÉ/IFB Completion funding is becoming increasingly rigorous, with approval given only in cases where the material shot is of exceptional quality and where management of the production and its financing to date is transparent and clearly professional.
(2) Projects must have had adequate production insurances in place for the entire production period and be capable of obtaining E&O insurance cover.
(3) Strong emphasis is placed on projects that have garnered strong market or festival interest or which have a strong marketing plan in place (festivals, sales and distribution)
(4) BSÉ/IFB Completion funding is generally provided during the remaining stages of production in accordance with an agreed cash flow. Before starting to fund, BSÉ/IFB will need to review a full cost report. BSÉ/IFB will also need to be satisfied that any other parties' material interests in the project have been declared by the producer, and that any other financiers who have invested in the project have agreed the terms on which BSÉ/IFB's Completion funding will be provided. BSÉ/IFB typically offers Completion funding on a last-in-first-out basis, i.e. BSÉ/IFB will expect to recoup its investment ahead of any existing financiers, including the producer.
Who Can Apply
BSÉ/IFB funding is available to Irish producers with a live-action or animated feature or a feature documentary they wish to complete, with clear access to the necessary rights in any material that has been adapted for the screen, full agreements in place with the screenwriter, director and all cast and crew, and evidence of production insurance and location clearances. It is not available to assist the completion of projects that have not finished shooting.
How to Apply
- Please ensure to consult the Completion Application Checklist and Production Funding Guidelines 2017 (downloadable from this page) in advance of making a submission.
- Applications can now be made online using the 'Make an Application' button on this page. If you wish to make an application for funding by post, contact 091 561 398 for the relevant application form.
- A BSÉ/IFB Project Manager must be consulted prior to making an application.